War memorials in the Borough of Solihull

As part of the commemorations marking 100 years since the outbreak of the First World War, we’re trying to get together a definitive list of individuals from places now within the Solihull borough who died as a result of war service.

We’re aware of the following war memorials that bear names of those killed:

  • Barston (Memorial Institute, and plaque in St Swithin’s Church)
  • Berkswell (chapel, St John the Baptist Church)
  • Bickenhill (St Peter’s Church)
  • Castle Bromwich
  • Catherine-de-Barnes (font cover, St Catherine’s Church)
  • Chessetts Wood
  • Copt Heath Golf Club
  • Dorridge (St Philip’s Church)
  • Earlswood (St Patrick’s Church, Salter Street)
  • Elmdon (St Nicholas’s Church)
  • Hampton-in-Arden
  • Hockley Heath and District
  • Hockley Heath (St Peter’s Church)
  • Hockley Heath (St Thomas’s Church)
  • Knowle (Avenue Bowling Club)
  • Knowle (Soldiers’ Chapel, and plaques inside parish church)
  • Marston Green Garden of Remembrance
  • Meriden (St Laurence’s Church)
  • Meriden (cross, jcn of Berkswell Rd and Birmingham Rd)
  • Olton (St Margaret’s Church)
  • Olton (United Reformed Church)
  • Shirley (St James’ Church)
  • Solihull (St Alphege)
  • Solihull School
  • Temple Balsall

Are there any that we’ve missed? Please let us know by leaving a comment here, emailing heritage@solihull.gov.uk or tweeting @SolihullLife

Tracey
(Heritage & Local Studies Librarian)

Advertisements

Hemlingford

Solihull was the only former Rural District Council to become a Metropolitan Borough Council in its own right under the 1972 Local Government Act, which came into effect on 1st April 1974. A little more than 40 years before, workers were taking up the cobbles in Solihull’s High Street – a graphic illustration of the incredibly rapid growth of the Borough. The population had more than doubled in 7 years, from just over 25,000 in 1932 to 52,610 by 1939.

Continue reading “Hemlingford”

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑